Welcome to John On Business, where I do my best to provide you with information you can use to run your small business better. I will be posting articles as fast as I can write them while working on my business too. If you like what you read please sign up for my mailing list and follow me on social media to get updates on the latest content!
- How to Do Your Own PayrollIn the last post, Introduction to Payroll, we went over the paystub, your W4 and what it all means. In this post we’re going to put that information together with the Federal Employer’s Tax Guide Publication 15 and the Federal Income Tax Withholding Methods Publication 15-T and calculate a sample paycheck (or at least the Federal part). Feel free to download those guides and the W4 so you can follow along. Gathering Employee Information The … Read more
- Introduction to PayrollRemember your teenage years when Fridays were everything? School was out for the weekend and in your inbox at work a paycheck was waiting for you. It was the one day a week you really wanted to go to work because that $100 check meant your weekend was going to be a blast. To the employee, payday is the day when you get compensated for all the hard work you’ve been doing. With direct deposit … Read more
- Hire Yourself! – What You Need For Your First EmployeeBack in the early ’90s I was the owner of a small computer networking company. I didn’t have any employees at the time and it was nice to not have to manage other people. I was a sole proprietor and it paid the bills and I was happy with that. If you’re in a similar situation then this article is not for you. If however you’ve started to make some real money and have read … Read more
- Insurance Basics for Small Business: What You Need to KnowThere are many types of insurance that might apply to your small business. Let’s go over the basics and see what you might need.
- How to Open a Business Bank AccountCongratulations on starting your new business! There are few feelings like the excitement of starting something new. I remember the most recent time I walked into a bank to open a new business account. I wore khakis and a button down shirt and a decent set of loafers so I’d look more professional (I always try to look a little nice when I want something from someone). After a short wait I was seated at … Read more